Outdoor Family Movie Series to resume June 7 at Wilson Park
‘Thor: Ragnarok’ planned after concert; two more films shown within 2 weeks
The 2018 Outdoor Family Movie Series will resume June 7 in Arkansas City with a Marvel movie under the Wilson Park rotunda, 701 N. Summit St.
The 2017 hit “Thor: Ragnarok,” sponsored by United Agency, will be shown starting around 8 p.m. The PG-13-rated film is approximately two hours and 10 minutes long.
The movie will begin shortly after the Ark City Community Band concert ends. It is scheduled to start at 7:30 p.m. under the rotunda. These concerts generally are between 30 minutes and an hour long.
This will be the band’s first concert under the rotunda this year, after it opened its 147th season last week during the Fifth Thursday event downtown. Concerts repeat every Thursday night through July 5.
“Thor: Ragnarok” will be the fourth film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe to be shown at the park as part of this outdoor series, preceded by “Doctor Strange,” “Guardians of the Galaxy” and “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2,” all of which were shown in 2017.
At least seven more movies are planned this year, including another recent Marvel Cinematic Universe hit and a “three-quel” to the last two years’ super-popular showings of “Finding Nemo” and “Finding Dory” at Paris Park Pool.
(More pool event details will be announced at a later time.)
This will be the second of three films to be shown locally in the next two weeks, and the second of four in the region.
The movie series will return at 8:30 p.m. June 15 with another special outreach night in Newkirk, Oklahoma, with a replay of “Despicable Me 3” planned in conjunction with community events.
Next week, there also will be a special showing of “Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle” on June 12, immediately following the Arkansas City Farm and Art Market’s special monthly market event.
“We are so appreciative of the generous sponsors who make these wonderful events possible,” said City Manager Nick Hernandez.
“If you are interested in being a sponsor this year, please call myself or Andrew Lawson at 441-4415 to discuss pricing options. There still are some opportunities available in the fall!”
About the Outdoor Family Movie Series
The 2015 Outdoor Summer Movie Series was a huge success in the debut season for the new V.J. Wilkins Memorial Stage at the rotunda, with particularly large crowds viewing “Big Hero 6” and “Frozen.”
The projection equipment, sound system and stage all were made possible by a grant received three years ago from the V.J. Wilkins Memorial Foundation, in order to promote arts throughout the city.
A special fall showing of “Inside Out” drew more than 300 people to the rotunda in November 2015, despite colder temperatures. Plans were launched then for more autumn showings in 2016 and 2017.
Various weather impacted attendance often in the spring and summer of 2016, but the season’s highlight undoubtedly was in June 2016, when more than 700 people packed Paris Park Pool for a special doubleheader, consisting of “Finding Nemo” and “Jaws,” during a free swim-in night at the pool.
The sequel event, featuring “Finding Dory,” drew more than 500 visitors to the pool on July 21, 2017.
The 2018 season kicked off May 5 with the first-ever Saturday night movie, “Coco,” which drew more than 150 people back to the rotunda following the inaugural Cinco de Mayo Salsa Fest event.
During the last three years, the City of Arkansas City has shown a wide variety of movies, including:
- ’80s classics — “Back to the Future,” “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off,” “Ghostbusters,” “The Great Outdoors,” “Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade” and “¡Three Amigos!”
- Classic Disney films — “The Fox and the Hound,” “The Jungle Book,” “Mary Poppins” and “Pete’s Dragon”
- Disney animated features — “Big Hero 6,” “Frozen,” “Moana” and “Zootopia”
- Disney live-action remakes — “Beauty and the Beast,” “Cinderella” and “Maleficent”
- Disney-Pixar animated collaborations — “Coco,” “Finding Dory,” “Finding Nemo,” “The Good Dinosaur” and “Inside Out”
- Marvel Cinematic Universe films — “Doctor Strange,” “Guardians of the Galaxy” and “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2”
- Other animated films — “Despicable Me 3,” “The Lego Batman Movie,” “The Lego Movie,” “The Lorax,” “Minions,” “The Secret Life of Pets” and “Sing”
- Star Wars movies — “Rogue One: A Star Wars Story,” “Star Wars: A New Hope” and “Star Wars: The Force Awakens”
- Summer and holiday blockbusters — “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them,” “Jaws,” “Jurassic Park,” “Jurassic World,” “Monster Trucks” and “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows”
The Outdoor Family Movie Series is only possible with the assistance of many generous donors:
- Civic and service clubs such as the Arkansas City High School KAY Club, the Kiwanis Club, and the Optimists and Soroptimists of Arkansas City;
- Local businesses such as Ark City Daily Bytes, Ark Valley Credit Union, Community National Bank & Trust, Elite Advertising, Grass Clippings, Mitch Reichle—Farm Bureau Financial Services, Munson Insurance, Plumber Bob’s, RCB Bank, Reedy Ford, Rogers Family Dentistry, The Stock Exchange Bank, Union State Bank, United Agency, and WB Meats;
- Governmental entities such as the Arkansas City Convention and Visitors Bureau, Arkansas City Public Library, and City of Arkansas City;
- Nonprofit organizations such as the Arkalalah Executive Committee, the Arkansas City Area Chamber of Commerce, the Fraternal Order of Police, Newkirk (Oklahoma) Main Street, Newman’s Quest and the Young Professionals of Cowley County.