New recycling program details
For both Arkansas City and Winfield, the main recycling option is the shared Arkansas City/Winfield Recycling Center, located at 7th Avenue and D Street in Strother Field, which is open for community drive-through drop-off from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. on Fridays and Saturdays.
Clean, dry and sorted materials will be accepted at the recycling center in the following separated categories:
- plastic bottles and containers (#1 and #2) — including milk jugs, soda bottles and laundry detergent containers;
- plastic bottles and containers (#3, #4, #5, #6 and #7) — including food trays, spray bottles and butter tubs;
- aluminum cans — including soda and beer cans;
- steel and tin cans — including soup and vegetable cans;
- mixed paper — including newspapers, magazines, catalogs, hardcover and softcover books, phonebooks and junk mail;
- paperboard — including cereal boxes, soda boxes, packing paper, egg cartons, etc.;
- corrugated cardboard — including shipping boxes, pizza boxes (free of food and grease) and moving boxes;
- glass bottles, jugs and jars (any color).
Unsorted or contaminated materials (e.g., food residues, yard waste, plastic bags, etc.) will not be accepted at the center at Strother Field.
In Arkansas City, a publicly accessible recycling trailer remains available at the City’s Public Services Department central shop, located at 1407 W. Madison Ave., but it is limited only to clean and dry corrugated cardboard.
Paperboard product, such as cereal boxes, or any other items will not be accepted at this trailer. PLEASE do not dispose of anything other than corrugated cardboard in this trailer, or else the contaminated load will have to be taken to the landfill instead of recycled.
Drop-off at the corrugated cardboard trailer will be available during the central shop’s normal business hours of 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Mondays through Fridays.
For both communities, commercial pickup customers will recycle clean corrugated cardboard only.
Customers in both communities also are encouraged to rethink and reset their consumer behaviors.
As a step toward reducing and reusing, each City has reusable grocery shopping bags available at no additional cost for customers to pick up at its City Hall. These bags are not recyclable and do not have to be used to recycle.
Winfield customers with questions may call the City Operations Center at (620) 221-5600.