Text Size Translate

The City of Arkansas City strives to provide a high quality of life for its citizens by furnishing a variety of efficient services in a professional, courteous manner.

Man arrested Jan. 25 after injuring ACPD officer in struggle

Halle accused of battery of and interference with a LEO; meth possession

Arkansas City Police Department badgeThe Arkansas City Police Department arrested an Arkansas City man Jan. 25 after he fled from and subsequently injured an Ark City police officer.

Keith David Halle, 37, was arrested on suspicion of battery of a law enforcement officer, interference with a law enforcement officer, possession of drug paraphernalia and possession of methamphetamine.

The interference and methamphetamine possession charges are felonies, while the battery and paraphernalia possession charges are misdemeanors.

Halle also was arrested on two Cowley County District Court warrants — one for aggravated battery-domestic violence, which is a felony, and the other for failure to appear, which is a misdemeanor.

Halle was transported to and booked into the Cowley County Jail in lieu of $24,500 bond. He remained in custody at the time of this release.

An ACPD officer on routine patrol stopped around 8:23 p.m. Jan. 25 to speak to two people walking in the 800 block of South First Street. One of the people was identified as Halle.

While the officer, who is a 38-year-old male, was speaking to Halle, the suspect took off running from the officer. After a short pursuit, the officer caught Halle and attempted to place him under arrest.

The suspect resisted arrest and a physical altercation ensued between him and the arresting officer.

Halle eventually was able to run away from the officer and flee the scene.

Other officers responding to the scene searched the area where the incident had occurred and located a glass smoking pipe with methamphetamine residue in it. They also learned Halle had two district court warrants for his arrest.

Police determined that Halle was hiding in a residence at 829 S. Summit St. and found him hiding in a closet in the house after entering the premises to search for him. He then was taken into custody.

The officer sustained injuries in the altercation and was transported to South Central Kansas Medical Center, where he was treated for his injuries and later released.

A defendant’s guilt or innocence is to be determined by a court of law.