Text Size Translate

The City of Arkansas City strives to provide a high quality of life for its citizens by furnishing a variety of efficient services in a professional, courteous manner.

Recycling trailers now number three as south trailer moves

Trailer moved to Country Mart parking lot during Arkalalah; ACMS trailer open

ARKANSAS CITY, Kan. (Oct. 19, 2018) The City of Arkansas City has moved one of its recycling trailers from a Cowley College parking lot to the Country Mart parking lot, located at 616 N. Summit St.

City of Arkansas City logo

The annual move was made necessary due to the arrival this weekend of the Arkalalah carnival.

The orange trailer will remain at the former Country Mart through Oct. 28, after Arkalalah concludes.

Residents who wish to dispose of recycling at a different school location are invited to visit the City’s newest recycling trailer, which is now open for business in Arkansas City Middle School’s east parking lot, just north of the Kansas Avenue overpass.

It can be accessed from the circle drive off Kansas Avenue.

ACMS Recycling TrailerThe brand-new 25-cubic-yard trailer, which is painted purple and adorned with a Sally the Bulldog logo, is considerably larger than the other two trailers. It was purchased this year through a state grant.

Also, the green recycling trailer continues to be available for use in the parking lot at Spring Hill Golf Course, located at 3202 N. Summit St. All three trailers are dumped Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

The recycling of solid waste continues to increase each year in Arkansas City, from 273,124 pounds in 2014 and 526,348 pounds in 2015 to 611,191 pounds in 2016 and a new high of 731,430 pounds in 2017.

Current trends indicate public recycling in Arkansas City could top 800,000 pounds this year.

About the ACMS recycling trailer

In December 2017, the City of Arkansas City applied for funding through the Kansas Department of Health and Environment’s (KDHE) Solid Waste Grant Program to help to purchase a third public recycling trailer.

The Solid Waste Grant was awarded for the grant period of April 1, 2018, to March 31, 2019.

The cost of the recycling trailer was $13,700. This is a matching grant, with the City paying 25 percent of the cost — just $3,425 — and KDHE paying the remaining 75 percent, or $10,275.

The City also has two 18-cubic-yard recycling trailers, both of which quickly fill up after being dumped three times a week.

Recycling dos and don’ts

The following items can be recycled through the City of Arkansas City’s trailers (no sorting required):

  • Aluminum and steel cans (rinsed);
  • Flattened cardboard;
  • Glass bottles, jugs and jars (rinsed);
  • Newspapers, magazines, catalogs, phone books, junk mail, and cereal and dry food boxes;
  • Pizza boxes free of food and grease;
  • Plastic containers (of plastic types 1 through 7).

Items that should be thrown in the trash or disposed of in some other manner include:

  • Aluminum foil and pie plates;
  • Buckets or butter tubs;
  • Electronics — e-waste can be recycled locally at 31st Century Techsupport, located at 107 W. Central Ave.;
  • Fluorescent lamps — CFLs should be recycled at Lowe’s in Derby or Ponca City, Oklahoma;
  • Foil juice pouches;
  • Food-contaminated paper plates and cups;
  • Garbage or yard waste — yard waste may be taken to the F Street Limb Disposal and Compost Site;
  • Grass clippings, branches or tree limbs — these may be taken to the F Street burn pit, too;
  • Lids, caps and sprayers;
  • Light bulbs;
  • Plastic bags — these can be recycled locally at Walmart or left in a Polycart at each trailer;
  • Plastic-coated cartons;
  • Styrofoam, packing peanuts and bubble wrap;
  • Toys — the City suggests that toys in good working order be donated to Angels in the Attic;
  • Window glass and mirrors.