Text Size Translate

The City of Arkansas City strives to provide a high quality of life for its citizens by furnishing a variety of efficient services in a professional, courteous manner.

Crestwood Drive detouring begins Jan. 21; bridge will be closed

Project expected to last at least three months; City paying 20 percent of cost

City of Arkansas City logoARKANSAS CITY, Kan. (Jan. 15, 2019) A Kansas Department of Transportation (KDOT) project to replace a bridge on Crestwood Drive, over Crestwood Creek, is scheduled to begin Jan. 21.

The bridge is located just north of East Madison Avenue, about 2,000 feet east of the Walnut River.

Crews will begin placing official closure signs Jan. 21. The bridge will be closed beginning Jan. 21, but motorists should take the next few days to begin familiarizing themselves with detour routes.

Residences along Crestwood Drive, Kirk Road and Meadow Lane can be accessed from the north by way of either Crestwood Drive, via Chestnut Avenue, or Eastridge Drive, leading to Centennial Road.

The $396,907 project has a schedule of 70 working days and 20 cleanup days, and the bridge closure is expected to last for a minimum of three months.

Reece Construction Company, Inc., of Scandia, is the contractor for the project, which will involve the demolition and replacement of the existing 88-year-old bridge, which was originally constructed in 1930 and is structurally deficient.

Planning for this project began in 2016, when the City of Arkansas City applied for grant funding through the KDOT Off-System Bridge Program to replace the bridge, identified by both the 2017 and 2018 Capital Improvement Planning (CIP) Committees as the bridge most in need of replacement within the City limits.

KDOT announced Sept. 15, 2016, that the City had been selected for award, with KDOT funding 80 percent of the total actual costs of construction, construction engineering and inspection, and the City funding the remaining 20 percent.

Reece Construction’s portion of the KDOT contract is for an amount not to exceed $286,866, while construction engineering and inspection will be handled by Kirkham Michael, of Cheney, for an amount not to exceed $110,041.

The total City share for this work is only $80,000, or 20 percent of the total.

In addition, the City contracted with Poe and Associates, Inc., to design the bridge, for $25,500. The City’s cost for surveying, appraisals and right-of-way acquisition totaled $8,594.50.

Final approval of the project occurred at a City Commission meeting on Nov. 6, 2018.

The Kansas Department of Transportation urges all motorists to be alert, obey the warning signs, and “Give ’Em a Brake!” when approaching and driving through a work zone.

Those with questions about this bridge work or other KDOT projects may call South Central Kansas Public Affairs Manager Deb Gruver at (620) 663-3361 or email her at deb.gruver@ks.gov.

For construction and detour updates throughout this project, please visit www.arkansascityks.gov/bridge-detour/index.php or bit.ly/new166bridge.